Monday, September 3, 2007

Hello, World!

The uncomfortable thing about setting up a blog using blogger is that you're forced the confront the trail of dusty, unused blogs sitting idle on your internet shelf. I had grand visions of setting up a WordPress installation on my personal site (which, speaking of sitting idle on the internet shelf...), but I decided to go for absurdly easy set-up, indead of just the regular kind of ease.

So. Anyway. The reason I think I might actually stick with this blog, against all prior evidence, is that I actually have a topic! Earlier this year, I got diagnosed with MS. I'm also an avid martial artist, and a less-avid social dancer. Most of what I hear about folks with MS falls into one of two camps:
1) Woe is me, I'm stuck in a wheelchair, life is bad.
2) Wee! I don't even know I have it!

I belong to neither of those camps. I haven't been symptom-free yet, since I started having symptoms about two years ago. At the same time, I'm not debilitated. I'm annoyed, sure. But that's really the worst of it (knock wood, etc). So I thought I might have something unique to add.

Plus, MS is funny. No, really. Example 1: you know how it's a ball of laughs to stick tape on the bottom of a cat's feet and watch them freak out? It works with humans, too. And you don't even need tape, in my case. I don't know how many times today i've looked at the bottom of my feet, searching in vain for what I'd stepped on that was sticking to the bottom of my feet.
Nothing there. I do take it more calmly than most cats, though.

Ok, enough for now. I don't want to overdo it on my first time out...

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hi Amy!

You should check out this guy Sheldon Brown--I found his Web site when I was trying to teach Dave to ride a bike. He's an interesting guy and an avid cycling advocate (he has great articles on teaching kids to ride), and he was recently diagnosed with MS.
http://sheldonbrown.org/journal/journal-0709.html