Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Totally Unscientific Observations on the Texas Primary, and Random Observations

Today's the big day - election day in Texas. This is very rarely a big day, but this year it is, and that in itself is exciting.

...

I've talked to a lot of people in the last week about who they're voting for. This is perhaps gauche - it's one of those things you're not supposed to ask. But I am nothing if not socially inappropriate.

I've talked to 2 undecideds, and lots of people voting for Obama, but only 4 people who were planning on voting for, or had voted for, Clinton. Even more striking, 2 of the 4 were Republicans, and they voted for Clinton with the express purpose of voting AGAINST Obama, since they felt he was a bigger threat. The guy I talked to today actually made me feel really good, because he was against Obama for much the same reason I'm for him - he said (and this is a paraphrase, but a close one), "You know, politicians say whatever on the campaign trial - but Obama scares me because I believe him when he speaks." I know Clinton still has sincere support in Austin - she was on The Daily Show last night, live! via Satellite! from Austin, Texas! (which, again, is cool in its own right) - and she wasn't by herself - so I'm still feeling pretty anxious about tonight, but cautiously optimistic.

...

I early voted last Friday, and I had to stand in line for about an hour to cast my vote. It was the last day of early voting, and it was also over the lunch hour, but still! An hour's line! To early vote! It feels...it feels like a democracy again. And that's such a heady feeling, I can't even tell you.


ps to Kevin - how's my punctuation?

No comments: