Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Nailbiter in Texas

I just got home from caucusing - I was worried about being late as the time got close to 7; I needn't have worried. I didn't get home until 10PM.

Highlights and lowlights of the evening:
There's really only one lowlight, and that would be taking out a car's rear-view mirror as I crept through the tiny one-way street near my polling place, which was of course packed with cars and pedestrians. I stopped and left a note with my name and number (and an apology), but haven't heard anything yet.

I had to put up with some drunk students, I suppose that was something of a lowlight

Highlights
  • The large crowd
  • The bulk of the crowd being Obama supporters
  • Getting to do my civic duty by looking up voter ids (VUIDS)on my iPhone
  • The lines I used to let folks know I'd look up their VUIDS, including, "Get out of line free, get your voter ID here!" and "I've got an iPhone and I'm not afraid to use it!"
  • Lending my sweatshirt to a drunk student, thereby causing her to STFU about being cold
  • The conversations with fellow line-standers, including what was probably the only other non-student there (it's what I get for living where I do).
  • Seeing my friend Jana, who does not live near me, but was there with the press.
Currently, CNN has called OH and RI for Clinton, with Obama taking VT, and Texas is "too close to call" at 50% to 48%, with Clinton having a slight lead. I'd hoped for a blowout, but I guess it wasn't to be. But I was right about the pulse of Austin - the CNN website informs me that Travis County is Obama 63%, Clinton 36%. I love this city, even if it does give me a skewed view of the world.

No comments: