Thursday, October 11, 2007

Again with the Mouthing Off

Last night I developed a new-found appreciation for just how good of a shape I'm in. Or was in, until I got sick. Remember how in my last post I said I staved off the cold from the beginning of last week? Turns out, not so much. I was coughing on Friday enough to deepen my voice (I'm sure it was very sexy), and then on Saturday I was full-on miserable. I made it to the 10AM class that I teach, then crawled home and slept for about a zillion hours. Made it to work on Monday for all of about 3 hours. Tuesday was slightly better, and Wednesday I was at work all day!
This, plus my test next Saturday, convinced me that I was in great shape to go back to karate. I made it through the kids' class ok, and the begining of the 6:30 adult class. I worked on the 4th Yakosoku Kumite with Senpai Chad. But by the end of the 6:30 class, I was quite certain I was about to die. It had only been about 40 minutes. Usually I stay for the 7:30 class.

Usually a full 3 hours leaves me tired, but not in the 'mop the floor with me' way. Just 'good workout' tired. Getting out of my car and into my apartment last night was a monumental undertaking, though. I couldn't get over how wiped out I was.

The good news is that I have the 4th Yakosoku more or less memorized. Now I just need to drill the 6th and 7th Kihon Kumites, and the intermediate self defenses, and I think I'm in good shape. Which is good, given that I have 9 days left. Gulp.

In other news, I missed my 3rd injection ever on Tuesday night. I was just so tired, and didn't quite have the will to cause myself the pain. the other two injections I've missed were when I went to Jena, because I brought them with me but later realized that they had been exposed to 100+ degree temperatures sitting in my car all day, so it seemed like a risk to inject them, especially away from home. Also I ended up sleeping at a rest stop, and it just didn't seem right.

Saturday night, I had the most painful injection ever. This was in the throes of my sickness, remember. Man did it suck. It was an upper arm injection, and for some reason the muscle started spasming when I injected. usually, I kind of enjoy muscle spasms. They're neat. But this time it was accompanied by awful, stinging pain that lasted and lasted. I hardly ever curse when I inject anymore, so the steady stream of "fuckfuckfuck" and the grimacing and whatnot made my friend K (who was watching tv with me) rather concerned. I have three theories on why it happened:
1) Cold medicine interaction. I wouldn't expect this, but it was something unusual in my body, so I guess it's a possibility.
2) Injection was too warm. K had been, uh, keeping it warm with his posterior parts (in other words, he was sitting on it). OR
3) I missed the subcutaneous layer and injected into the muscle instead. I injected a little lower on my arm than usual, and it may have been that my subcutaneous layer was thinner there. As it is, it is my cross to bear that my arms and legs are so relatively muscular, which means a more painful injection. Luckily, my stomach and ass do not have this problem. :-/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, sure. Blame it on my ass.
You're just like my mother.

Amy said...

Well, since it happened the next two times I injected, your ass is off the hook (unless your ass is stalking my injections, which is just too weird to contemplate).